Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Freshman Year: A Self Reflection


My freshman year as a creative writing major was quite an interesting one. I understood that I’d probably have a bit more work than my peers, but I didn’t realize how much work that’d actually be. Sometimes I’d be reading three books at a time or writing two stories and an essay at once. It was very difficult and daunting at times; all of that work did nothing but make me a more effective and efficient worked. I learned to use my time more wisely and more productively. I’ve also learned that it’s okay to actually work at home. In terms of actual writing and reading, I’ve learned my strong suits. Fiction works best for me, more specifically, realistic fiction. No matter what the story or the subject matter, I’ve always been drawn towards fiction more than any other genre. Fantasy (with goblins and such) has a tendency to bore me, as well as non-fiction. It’s been nice to figure out what I’m appealed to and what creates my best work. Some of the stuff I wrote in the beginning of the year is very cringe-worthy, but there was some good stuff. My more recent work is some of my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment